Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:44:21 -0700
From:      Joe <j.harman@f5.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-lists@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to read security advisories

=46or the patch level field, it would be informative to have a note indic=
ating that the absence of a patch level field is itself information, rath=
er than just an indication that the user is looking in the wrong place. =C2=
=A0I think that's really the critical bit that I was missing.

=46or example:

4.3-RELEASE-p39 (7)
(7) The=C2=A0Corrected=C2=A0field indicates the date, time, time offset, =
and release that was corrected. =C2=A0The -p suffix indicates a security =
branch patch level. =C2=A0Builds which do not have the -p suffix in their=
 release string do not have a patch level.

I think it would also be nice to have a link to a page describing the bra=
nching and/or build-naming strategy, but the above would've been plenty t=
o have pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks,

-joe

On =46ebruary 27, 2014 at 5:52:54 AM, Lowell Gilbert (freebsd-lists=40be-=
well.ilk.org) wrote:

Joe <j.harman=40f5.com> writes: =20

> I'd like to point out that neither of these resources are of much help =
=20
> for someone trying to figure out what the -p means, though. =20

That makes sense. What would you suggest as additional text for the =20
how-to-read-a-security-advisory chapter=3F =20