Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:40:09 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <Don@PartsNow.com>
To:        Christophe Prevotaux <nighty@hexanet.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.2b8

Having just gone through the painful process of moving Apache to
another server, I can point you to a few places where the answer might
lie:
	First, make sure your .conf files are correct for where
DocumentRoot and ServerRoot are. The new Apache will most likely have
overwritten all of your .conf files with its standard ones; you will
have to merge your changes -- specifically directory access
authorizations and enabling functions -- to reflect your specific site
structure. Hope you made copies of the old ones that worked! Second
possible gotcha is if your CGI programmer added his own Perl password
test code in one of the generically included modules. This covers a
security hole in the .htaccess scheme, and is Good. Make surew he didn't
hard code the directories into the Perl code. Next, make sure all your
scripts point to the right directories. Use lots of GREPs and "perl5
-pi.bak -e s#/some/old/dir/#/some/new/dir/loc/# *" to eradicate old
directory pointers. Lastly, make sure the crypt routines are the same.
MD5 and DES do not produce the same passwords.
	I haven't yet done 1.2b8, I myself am waiting for 1.3 to come
off beta. If somebody manages to blitz my site in the meantime, I have
another live server I can just change the name and IP on. There may be
other surprizes, but I would doubt it's compilation that causes your
grief. It's far more likely the .conf files or the directories.
	Finally, besides Apache.org, the http://www.hwg.org has a
hwg-servers mailing list you can subscribe to which covers Apache
configuration constantly. As an aside to the FreeBSD group, I would
suggest that we add a link there to the FreeBSD resources pages, as this
question (and others of like topic) are better addressed there.
	Bon appetite pour les electrons du Internet, monsieur!
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *