Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:19:11 -0500
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: UPnP inspector and mediatomb on different Subnets.

KK CHN wrote:

> Sorry for reposting  this as I didn't receive any hints so far .
> Apologies!!

Sorry to say this, but top-posting is bad form.

> List,
>
> I have a FreeBSD-10 server box running on 10.184.0.37 IP Address  and a
> Debian Desktop running on 10.184.39.120
>

> I installed mediatomb  in my FreeBSD10 box (Recompiled the kernel with
> option MROUTING for multicast support. I am not sure whether the
> FreeBSD-10 installation supports Multicast out of box. So I recompiled the
> Kernel with MROUTING option.)
>
> I referred this link for Installing Mediatomb on FreeBSD  ==>
> virtuallyhyper.com/2012/10/installing-mediatomb-on-freebsd-9-and-
connecting-to-it-with-xbmc-from-a-fedora-17-os/

> Mediatomb installed on this box up and running I can point from Desktop
> m/c
> browser to the URL  http://my_server_ip:49152   showing the mediatomb html
> page ..
>
> But I can't get the Mediatomb server detected by the  UPnP inspector from
> my Desktop PC.

[snip]

I know nothing of MediaTomb myself, but I was under some impression the
multicast MROUTING kernel option is supposed to be used in conjunction with
mrouted?

> I made sure the mediatomb Server is listening on the new VPN  IP  of
> server
> box of tun0    "10.8.0.1"

This whole VPN thing just seems like such a wrong approach to me. YMMV

> Definitely a N/W  configuration issue.. Any hints most welcome..

man route add    maybe?

something along the lines of route add -net <network> <ip of interface>

if this approach is proper (I'm a 'dummy' and haven't had to do this in
sometime so memory gets fuzzy) you may need to do it on both subnets to get
each connected to the other. Exact syntax will depend on your networks. The
reservation I have here that I'm way too fuzzy about is how ARP fits, but
iirc it comes into play somehow. There are smarter people around who may be
able to confirm a canonical approach to joining two subnets via the routing
table. But, remember - I'm a dummy so I just toss it out as an idea. Just a
potential idea to consider. I'm probably wrong.

-Mike