Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:31:31 -0800
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        "Henry B." <cryptix@riseup.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radeon HD 4350 - no DRI / only Software Rasterizer under FreeBSD 9.0?

On 11/28/12 15:18, Henry B. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently trying to setup Xorg to use DRI on my new (and first ever)
> FreeBSD 9.0 installation, without success.
>
> I followed the Handbook Chapter 6.4 and used Xorg -configure to get a
> baseline configuration which detects my graphics card but when I try to
> load it, I end up with a blank screen (no signal) and broken pipes on my
> SSH sessions into the system. CTRL+ALT+F1 or any other key combo doesn't
> do a thing and since i can't connect over SSH anymore I'm forced to do a
> hard reboot.
>
> I found two working ways of running Xorg, the first is using the VESA
> driver and the second is using the radeon driver with DRI disabled and
> setting AutoAddDevices to False. I also tried the radeonhd driver, i get
> about 2 seconds of video before the system hangs in the same way as when
> using radeon.
>
> I discarded VESA because it couldn't even drive the full resolution to my
> first screen.
>
> The DRI disabled option is a problem for me because I'm used to a
> dual-head setup with both of the screens rotated 90 degrees and then
> joined together. (I use two 16:10 screens for this. Reading and editing
> long files/websites is marvelous on this setup.)
>

> [cryptix@oObsi ~]$ xrandr --output DVI-0 --rotate left
> xrandr: Configure crtc 1 failed
> [cryptix@oObsi ~]$ xrandr --output DVI-1 --rotate right
> xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed
> [cryptix@oObsi ~]$ xrandr --output DVI-1 --right-of DVI-0
> xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1680x1680 (desired size 3360x1050)
>
> If the rotation works it would be 2100x1680 but that is still lager than
> 1680x1680.
> It won't work without DRI, I guess.
>
> I followed the steps in this[1] thread on the FreeBSD forum since it deals
> with a similar card and the point was to get DRI working but it didn't
> work out for me in the end. (Same dead/paniced system when i try to load
> Xorg with DRI enabled.)
>
> The first thing I succeed in was getting dmesg to tell me that DRM was
> detected on my card.
>

> [root@oObsi ~]# dmesg | grep drm
> [root@oObsi ~]# kldload radeon
> [root@oObsi ~]# dmesg | grep drm
> drm0: <ATI Radeon HD 4350> on vgapci0
> info: [drm] MSI enabled 1 message(s)
> info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.31.0 20080613
>
> But that's about all i could use from the before mentioned thread.
> WITHOUT_NOUVEAU has no effect anymore and my card is listed with vendor
> and product ID in /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/drm_pciids.h.
>
> I harvested this[2] Xorg.0.log from a run with DRI enabled over SSH using
> tail -F /var/log/Xorg.0.log and copying out of my terminal by hand. (After
> the reboot the file is empty because it wasn't cleanly closed, I guess).
>
> Here is my current xorg.conf[3].
>
> From what i can see DRI initializes fine but sadly the log file doesn't
> point to the specific problem because the box crashes before it prints
> [...]
That card should work, I personally use a crappy 4650 (PowerColor GO!,
RV730) and it usually only has issues with buggy GL programs.

-Try a different card (system setup bad)
-Try a different monitor (corrupt EDID crashes driver)
-Try same card in Linux/Windows (card is bad)
-It looks like a bad crash...can you SSH in and keep gdb attached to get
a backtrace?

I think it might be connector table or PLL related, my card says this
after yours crashes.

[165240.090] Output UNIPHY1 transmitter setup success
[165240.090] Output CRT2 disable success
[165240.090] Output UNIPHY0 transmitter setup success
[165240.090] Blank CRTC 0 success
[165240.090] Disable CRTC memreq 0 success
[165240.090] Disable CRTC 0 success
[165240.090] Blank CRTC 1 success
[165240.090] Disable CRTC memreq 1 success
[165240.090] Disable CRTC 1 success
[165240.091] Output UNIPHY0 transmitter setup success
[165240.091] Blank CRTC 0 success
[165240.091] Disable CRTC memreq 0 success
[165240.091] Disable CRTC 0 success
[165240.091] Set CRTC 0 Source success
[165240.091] Mode 1680x1050 - 2240 1089 6
[165240.091] (II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
[165240.091] (II) RADEON(0):   MC_FB_LOCATION   : 0x00df00d0 0x00df00d0
[165240.091] (II) RADEON(0):   MC_AGP_LOCATION  : 0x00030000
[165240.091] Picked PLL 0
[165240.091] before 14625
[165240.091] after 14625
[165240.091] best_freq: 146250
[165240.091] best_feedback_div: 130
[165240.091] best_frac_feedback_div: 0
[165240.091] best_ref_div: 3
[165240.091] best_post_div: 8
[165240.091] (II) RADEON(0): crtc(0) Clock: mode 146250, PLL 1462500
[165240.091] (II) RADEON(0): crtc(0) PLL  : refdiv 3, fbdiv 0x82(130),
fracfbdiv 0, pdiv 8
[165240.101] Set CRTC 0 PLL success
[165240.101] Set CRTC Timing success
[165240.101] Set CRTC 0 Overscan success
[165240.101] Not using RMX

Matt