Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:38:23 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jonathan A. Dama" <jd@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible problems with Broadcom BCM5704C 10/100/1000 on Tyan Motherboard

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 05:47:27PM -0800, Jonathan A. Dama wrote:
> FreeBSD/amd64 is not in my opinion not actually a stable tier 1 quality
> release under these configurations, too many problems remain--especially
> in regards to ia32 emulation.

It is not required for a Tier-1 platform to have 32-bit support.
Our UltraSparc platform does not have 32-bit support.  Nor does any other
of our 64-bit platforms.

> We also have these boards, I've found them unusable under
> FreeBSD/5.3-STABLE with 8GB of RAM--other qualities appear to work okay.
> But I even saw some infrequent problems with 6GB.

This problem is of course valid.

> This is a really lamentable situation.  We've been a primarily FreeBSD
> shop for 10 years now and for the past 4 years or so a pure FreeBSD shop.
> Switching to linux on just these machines has been quite the headache but
> I'm holding on to the hope that FreeBSD/amd64 will shape up.

FreeBSD/amd64 will only get better with your bug reports, testing, and
feedback.  I searched the GNATS PR database and only saw you've submitted
2 PR's for something we don't claim to really support (32-bit binaries on
64-bit OS).

Please submit a PR for the Broadcom and 8GB issues.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)