Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 01:41:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help! BootEasy is retarded!

Hi everyone,

Am am finding a _most_ annoying problem w/ BootEasy. I have 2 disks (both
4.3GB IDE), w. Win98 (no FAT32; only fat16) on the first & FreeBSD on the
2nd. The FreeBSD disk is _not_ using compatibility slice (although i did
try just to make sure...), and has its / as the first slice (way below
1024 cylinders I'm sure).

Anyhow, after I install both OSes, all is happy. BootEasy comes up, and
offers 2 choices, F1 for disk1 (win98) & F5 for disk2 (BSD). If I select
F5 for BSD, it boots no problem and everything works. However, the P.O.S.
switches the active partition from the 1st partition on disk one to the
BSD partition on disk 2! ARGH!

If I use FDISK (DOS's or BSD's) and switch the active partition back to
where it should be (disk1, par 1), it all works again.

I think the problem may be that when I tried to use the compatibility
slice (a few installs back), I had BootMgr installed on _both_ disks
(since the blurb on sysinstall mentions this may be right). Could that be
blowing things up? How can I uninstall? fdisk /mbr only works on the
primary partition.

I remeber seeing somewhere:
	# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd1 bs=1 count=512
or something like that, but I don't want to risk it without knowing for
sure.

Please help; this is aggravating the heck out of me. BTW - I am not
subscribed to this list, so please respond directly.

Many Thanks,
John

system is -STABLE as of a few days ago, although I am almost certain that
has nothing to do with it...