Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:24:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bjorn Dittmer-Roche <bjorn@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   a few comments

Thanks for putting together such great docs for FreeBSD. It is my favorite
thing about my favorite operating system! Three quick comments:

1. The java install page (http://www.freebsd.org/java/install.html) should
mention the need to mount linux's procfs for the linux binaries. I think
the makefiles tell you to do this, but I must have missed it when I was
doing a big install or something and was very frustrated until I figured
it out.

2. The handbook should have a brief section on java, or at least a link to
http://www.freebsd.org/java/install.html. (if this has been added, please
ignore this point). I suppose this is becoming moot now that there's a
native java port, but I know people would like help/hand holding with
installing the java browser plugin.

3. The handbook should have a brief section on keeping your system up to
date. With ports, packages, world and kernel it's a lot for a newbie to
keep track of and when I installed FreeBSD the first time I simply could
not grok the manual (although now that I have the feel for FreeBSD, it's a
very good referance). All the info is there, but I think there should be
a section on how to stay up to date. I am still no expert, but I would be
happy to draft something about general tips/procedures for installing and
updating using portinstall and some other tricks I've managed to learn
here and there.

Finally, just a brainstorm: Perhaps instead of the seperate "cutting edge"
and "packages and ports" section there could be a "installing and
upgrading software" section of which "cutting edge" and "packages and
software" could be a part.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

	bjorn