Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 20:47:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Darryl Okahata wrote:

> > On 31 Aug, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> > > On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Paul A. Howes wrote:
> >
> > >     Only problem is with the XFree86 4.x Radeon QD driver on boards
> > > that have the AMD 761 ("Irongate") chipset as the North Bridge.  X
> > > doesn't work correctly on those boards.
>
>      Another minor nit is that healthd, et.al. may or may not work with
> AMD motherboards, depending on the temperature sensors used.  In the

    That's what I've found, so I disabled healthd.

> [...snip...]
>
> [ Still, unless temperature/fan stats are *really* important to you, I'd
>   continue to recommend the A7M266.  It's a very nice motherboard.  ]

    With the current T-birds, temp. and fan stats are quite important.
If the fan dies, the CPU will burn up in less than one hour, even
while idle.  If the heatsink is mounted improperly, the CPU will burn
up in less than one minute.

    Of course, I set the knobs in my BIOS to shut the system down
before the fatal temperature is reached, but it can be reassuring to
check on the system from time to time.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)