Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:00:11 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Charlie Roots <root@isis.dynip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How Can I Use Voice-Capalbe Modem

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Charlie Roots wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have a Rockwell-based SupraExpress 33,600 Fax-Modem
> that supports incoming voice messages.
>
> I windows 95 I have software to do the recepion
> automatically, wether fax, data, or voice.
>
> I got mgety+Sendfax, it handles Data connection quite
> well, but BRAIN-DEAD on fax, since it insists, for
> unknown reasons, to use a CLASS 2 or 2.0 Fax devices,
> which most regretly my modem doeanot support, or at
> least mgetty+sendfax, and the Vendor manuals say this.

The reason why Class 2 or 2.0 is required is that for time-shared
systems, critical timing issues using Class 1 cannot be guaranteed by
the host. Under Class 2/2.0, this is handled by the modem. If you've
got a very light system, you can probably get away by using Class 1,
(if the software supports it) but Class 2/2.0 is the preferred option.

[snip]

> Do I have to re-change my modem so I can recieve fax
> and voice. or Is there a descent software for that.

Dunno about voice, but for fax systems, you can try HylaFAX.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
                                          Experience is a hard teacher