Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:55:19 -0300
From:      Fernando Ariel Gont <fgont@softhome.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "Identification field" at the IP header

Hi!

I've read that in some implementations, the  "Identification field" at the IP header is incremented by the TCP layer, and NOT by the IP layer.
I've read that the "idea" of the TCP/IP protocol suit is to have several layers, which are "independent" of each other. That means, the application (FTP, for example) passes its data to the next layer (TCP), then TCP encapsulates it, adding its header, then TCP passes its data to the IP layer, which encapsulates its.... and so on...
But, keeping in mind what I mentioned above, it seems to me that that "type of implementation" goes against the former idea of the TCP/IP protocol suite.
I mean, I'd found it more logical if the "Identification field" was incremented by the IP layer, and NOT by the TCP layer
Am I wrong?

Best regards,

Fernando Ariel Gont

E-mail:   fgont@softhome.net
web site: http://members.xoom.com/gont/

--- "Con las computadoras crearemos una civilizacion de estupidos tecnologicos,
      y una elite se ira quedando con todo. Cuando digo elite me refiero a gente
      como yo, que puede leer." - Ray Bradbury, escritor