Date:      08 Apr 2001 20:18:26 +0100
From:      Rolf Neugebauer <neugebar@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64bits mixups (Was: Re: Vinum status)

Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> writes:
> tcn writes:
>  >   It is an error to keep ints of 32 bits on 64 bits machine like it
>  > would have been an error on ia32 to keep ints of 16bits.  (I come from a
>  > dos world...)
>
> It is not an error.  It is standard industry practice, every major
> vendor with a 64-bit platform follows lp64.  Almost nobody chose
> ilp64.  Go read http://www.opengroup.org/public/tech/aspen/lp64_wp.htm
>
> I think the pointer size manipulation you're referring to in Compaq's
> CXX is the old Tru64 taso (Truncated Address Space) trick where they
> use 32-bit pointers and make sure that the entire program's address
> space fits in 4G.  This can indeed be useful to run old, buggy
> code like your aliance program.

taso actually is a linker option, ie independent of the compiler.

There is also a version of the GNU ld which implements this flag. IIRC
this is not (yet?) part of the standard binutils distro, but is in a
separate Linux branch. I once installed it on an Alpha/Linux box but
can't remember were I downloaded it from :(

If people are interested, there was a discussion about this on the
alpha linux mailing list a while back which I could dig out my archive.

Rolf