Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 2015 19:19:28 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        ctm-users@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Future of CTM

--nextPart6415575.lBiqbpKrKv

On Tuesday, September 01, 2015 02:19:36 AM Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Peter Wemm wrote:
> > I'm torn about how much to say in public, but there are a couple of=

> > problems.
> Thanks for the analysis Peter.
>=20
> Before we go deeper, might there by chance be a frustrated SOC
> student whose project fizzled out & who might grasp CTM as a
> replacement/ top up project ?  Or students coming to end of summer
> project thinking "That was fun! What next to hack ?"
>   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/soc-status/2015-August/date.html=

> Perhaps not very likely but might be worth checking, as your post
> nicely describes the remit.

I have been trying to find an example of somebody who is actually verif=
ying=20
signatures before piping the messages to to ctm_rmail.  Even the procma=
ilrc=20
files that you publish at http://www.berklix.com/jhs/txt/ctms.html don'=
t do=20
signature checking.   From your own pages:
# JJLATER add a check for pgp signature, ref.
#       http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html#CTM

I did find one person who gpg verified the files he downloaded from ftp=
 and=20
posted about a corrupted file:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/ctm-users/2012-December/000376.html=

but even then it was a check to see if it was signed by *somebody*, rat=
her=20
than signed by the pgp key listed on the mailman info pages.   Even the=
n, I'd=20
bet he only did the gpg check as a diagnostic after the ctm run failed

I actually went looking for sample scripts for how to do this all safel=
y and=20
there was nothing obvious that turned up in likely searches.

There's some hints about how to do specific key verification here:=20
http://stackoverflow.com/a/19016152
but note the caveat about it needing to be a pubkey.gpg, not pubkey.asc=
.

I'd wager that few people (if anybody) are actually doing proper signin=
g key=20
verification of the email feed, and are therefore completely vulnerable=
 to=20
mischief.  Relying on the ctm-*@freebsd.org email list protection is *n=
ot*=20
sufficient for this, but I would rather not talk about specifics just y=
et.

My biggest concern is that there is a vast quantity of published docume=
ntation=20
advising people to do dangerous things, with the "oh by the way, and yo=
u=20
probably should protect youself" aspect left as an exercise for the rea=
der as=20
an afterthought.

We can't retroactively recall all the bad advice so the only real optio=
n is to=20
break the old dangerous ways and give corrected instructions on how to =
do it=20
safely.  Make it so that you *need* the script that verifies signatures=
 before=20
decoding it and sending the delta to ctm_rmail.  It should be a choice =
to opt-
out of being safe, not something you have to research and implement you=
rself=20
to opt-in.

That's what lead to my current thinking.  Would this effort be well spe=
nt?  I'm=20
not convinced that it is, but I wouldn't stop somebody from doing the r=
efresh=20
work.

I'm wondering whether to ask Stephen to switch away from detached signa=
tures=20
to help force the issue.  ie: replace the "ctm-*.nnnn.xz" + "ctm-
*.nnnn.xz.sig" files with "ctm-*.nnnn.xz.gpg" so that gpg is needed to =
decode=20
it and at least have the signature status presented right there at deco=
de=20
time.  Likewise for the email deltas, sign and encode the deltas rather=
 than=20
clearsign - that forces it to be run through gpg in front of ctm_rmail.=
  A=20
script to check that its signed by the *right* keys would need to be wr=
itten=20
and published for that to be worth anything though.  (Processing a ctm =
email=20
packet with a valid signature by evilguy@terrorist.org is no safer than=
=20
accepting unsigned things)

However, at the very least, I still want to move the ctm files from=20
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org to something like ftp://ctm.freebsd.org because o=
f the=20
crawler issue.
=2D-=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI=
6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' or ... just won\342\200\231t do\342\200\246