Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:08:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARE THEY ABLE TO CRACK UNIX PASSWORDS???

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Randy A. Katz wrote:

> Are they able to crack Unix passwords? How to prevent this? Please tell me
> quickly, I've got some hacker terrorizing me.

Define `crack'.

. Brute-force methods (trying the dictionary) will work IF you have chosen
  easy-to-guess passwords.  Make sure your passwords are secure by:
  . not using words in your password
  . using 2 or more non-letters (numbers, symbols, etc)
  . using passwords at least 6 characters long

. Make sure your encrypted passwords aren't just laying around for anyone
  to read.  By default they should only be in /etc/master.passwd with
  permissions 600, owner root:wheel.  Make sure you didn't copy that to
  your anonymous ftp heirarchy.

Other quick tips:

. Deny snooping attacks by using Secure Shell (ssh) instead of telnet
  where possible, and setting up RSA keys.  If you have a purely UNIX
  environment then you can disable your own password making it impossible
  for anyone except someone with your private key from even making an
  attempt.

. Use your firewall or ipfw to block the perp's IP.

. Complain to their ISP and give logs as evidence.

I'm no security professional but those are some quick things that may
help.

Don't worry about some little kid threatening you that they'll hack your
system; if you have decent passwords, I'd invite them to try.  They won't
be successful.