Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:10:46 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two branches in Gnome and fbsd response to it

-On [19991124 13:05], Ariel Burbaickij (Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de) wrote:
>  Is it really so decentralized thatthe ONLY person
>  who make the decission is just maintainer of the port.

Basically and in theory, yes.

In practice, no.  The user community is the community which supplies the
ports.  So the user community is also the community which can get it to
go otherwise.  But in the case of ports, there's an entire mailinglist
devoted to it along with people who basically co-ordinate the whole
effort.  Some people whom come to mind:  Chris Piazza, Satoshi Asami,
Steve Price, Jim Mock and some other long time contributors.

>  What is so wrong then with idea to have two branches of ports
>  one stable and one current?There are people who want stable
>  there people are who want current and there people who want
>  stable in one part and current or beta in other

ports in cvs is only current, but that does not imply the ports
shouldn't be stable.  Hence I said to take it up with the maintainer and
the ports list to let your dissatisfaction be known, but don't just be a
messenger, be a part of the solution.  That's what I have been trying to
say.

I never had problems with ports being beta or current or how you call
it.  They were always stable for use in our production.

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      bART Internet Services /