Date:      Fri, 26 May 2006 17:34:22 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Integrating ProPolice/SSP into FreeBSD

Hi,

first sorry for cross-posting but I thought this patch might interest
-CURRENT users as well as people concerned by security.

I wrote a patch that integrates ProPolice/SSP into FreeBSD, one step
further than it has been realized so far.

It is available here :
    http://tataz.chchile.org/~tataz/FreeBSD/SSP/

Everything is explained on the web page, but I will repeat some
informations here.  The patchset is splitted in two parts to ease the
review of the patch.  The -propolice patch is only the original
ProPolice patch for GCC 3.4.4 applied on FreeBSD source tree.  The
-freebsd patch contains the glue I have written to make things neat.

The patch exists in both for CURRENT and RELENG_6.  Both introduce a
new make.conf(5) (and src.conf(5)) knob to enable stack protection
on a per Makefile basis.  It if of course possible to compile your
world with it.  Please refer to the web page for more informations.

The patch has been tested and works pretty well.  My laptop and my
workstation at work are compiled with SSP : world, kernel and ports,
including X.org.

I hope you will enjoy it.
Regards,
--