Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 18:45:50 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS access denied

Greetings,

I have an ancient NIS domain with an ultrix master and several hp-ux
slave servers.  I am trying to add a freebsd slave that will eventually
become the master.  I have transferred most of the maps and have ypserv
running, but after updating the ypservers map I am not able to propagate
it to the freebsd slave.  Here's what I'm getting:

On master:

$ yppush ypservers
Status received from ypxfr on xxxx:
        Failed - Transfer request refused.

In /var/log/messages on xxxx, the freebsd slave:

Sep 21 18:34:04 xxxx ypserv[4290]: access to ypservers denied -- client
111.222.333.444:2746 not privileged

[I've obscured the hostname and ip address here, for insecurity reasons.]

I've not found any clues in the man pages or the Lehey book.
Before I go source-diving, does anyone happen to know the answer I'm
looking for here?

-Mitch