Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:30:30 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Boot disk

On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 05:36:27PM -0500, Steve Friedrich wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:08:07 -0500, Steve Friedrich wrote:
>
> >>My name is not   " hey buddy "  .

and rightly so ....

> (so you might get a "hey, buddy" in this informal environment). They
> are not on your payroll,

so being an a pay-roll is the price of courtesy, these days, is it ?

> and you have absolutely no right to expect any help whatsoever.

you got that one right, fella, but not for teh reasons you know.

we all send posts to freebsd-questions in teh HOPE of getting a reply, we HOPE
that it will timely, direct, responsible and COURTEOUS.

some of teh less than polite responces of teh recent days have gon a long way
to proving at least one person observation, in teh we are no better than linux
crowd.

> They have no vested financial interest (I can probably
> count on two hands the number of people making money directly from
> FreeBSD, and they're probably all employees of Walnut Creek, with the

take a look at freebsd-isp .. all thier are making maney directly
from freebsd, and some wannabes as well.

> are un-paid volunteers.

so this is your excuse for poor manners, bad or at best in adequatly
researched answers.

to draw a bow from my own experiece .. i've been in computer related tech
support fro as long as some of teh responder (in thes parts) have been alive.
i know how easy it is to have a bad day and to take it out on teh client. one
momentry slip will destroy years of goodwill.

we are in danger of this kind of rot creaping into freebsd. we all need to
quard against the 'quick answer', the 'easy answer', these are all teh
hallmark of one who has little skill in teh subject. if one is going to answer
a post it take little effort to research, with care, the answer. most of teh
time all it takes is the ability to read. a, the question being asked. b the
reasonably good freebsd documantation and c, teh ancilliary documents
available around the place.

volunteerism is no reason for sloppy manners or ill-courteous behavior. just
because its free dosen't mean we can be free with our responsibilites.

> Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.

neithier is their a place for this kind of childish, rude and boorish
behaviour.

regards

jonathan, courtesy doesn't cost.

ps, my dsylex'd and speld words have all teh letters, just not in teh order
you might expect.