Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:16:24 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Jim Cassata <jim@web-ex.com>
Cc:        Shawn Workman <sworkman@nidlink.com>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Migration to FreeBSD

Jim Cassata wrote:

> We can all report on where and when Microsoft products are appropriate (on
> the desktops for most users) but what will probably convince your boss is
> by showing him that you are capable of supporting a FreeBSD environment.
> (and that means knowing where to find the answers, not necessarily having
> them all up front)  Set up a box for him and run email and www and
> firewall services, then let him toy with the idea of more powerful
> hardware and licensing/consulting costs on a less reliable Windows
> alternative.

Jim makes an excellent point here.  Keep in mind that FreeBSD is efficient
enough that you could easily do the above with a cast-off Pentium desktop
system; even a P100 makes a powerful mail & DNS server.  My mail/DNS/
source code/everything server is a 486/66 with 32MB RAM, and hasn't paged
since I "upgraded" it to server status and stopped running X.  ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com