Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:57:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        daimon@dev-random.org
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about "make trampoline" on FreeBSD

In message: <20061124002310.GA2324@mail.secure.net>
            David Sharp <daimon@dev-random.org> writes:
: doug,
:
:   i am replying to freebsd-arm as well.  perhaps someone with more clue than myself
: can point out a better way to do this.
:
: david.
:
:
: my method is something like:
:
: cd /usr/src && make TARGET_ARCH=arm buildworld

good so far.  I always add TARGET=arm too.

: setenv MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX /usr/obj/arm
: setenv MACHINE_ARCH arm
: setenv MACHINE arm
: setenv CPUTYPE
: setenv GROFF_BIN_PATH /usr/obj/arm/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin
: setenv GROFF_FONT_PATH /usr/obj/arm/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/share/groff_font
: setenv GROFF_TMAC_PATH /usr/obj/arm/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/share/tmac
: setenv _SHLIBDIRPREFIX /usr/obj/arm/usr/src/tmp
: setenv INSTALL "sh /usr/src/tools/install.sh"
:
: setenv PATH /usr/obj/arm/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/arm/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/arm/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/games:/usr/obj/arm/usr/src/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/arm/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin:/usr/obj/arm/usr/src/tmp/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

the above is the hard way of saying

"make TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=arm buildenv"

: cd /usr/src/sys/arm/conf
: config KB920X
: cd ../compile/KB920X
: make cleandepend && make depend && make && make trampoline

This works.  I have some changes in one of my tree that cause make
kernel.tramp (err, make trampoline) to happen automatically, and for
both kernel.gz and kernel.gz.tramp to be installed.  Once that's
integrated, a simple 'make buildkernel

: to be sure, i have not actually tried recently to make this to work
: on a KB920X board.  my own boards however work well.  both SD
: boot/root and tftp boot nfs root work.  however, SD root is pretty
: slow.  takes about 2 min to boot a full multiuser system from reset
: to login:.  /etc/rc.d/root and /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal account for
: about half of the boot time.

SD root isn't that slow.  I get from power on to login prompt in 1
minute on the machines at work as well as the KB9202 boards.  Over NFS
root it takes about the same amount of time.  Maybe there's something
weird in your setup...

No doubt this could be optimized, and I'll be looking at optimizing
the boot time in the near future.

: also, to get make buildworld to work it was necessary to disable some
: things in /etc/make.conf.  the one i use looks like:

Yea, I have custom scripts that build everything, but only install a
very limited subset.

Warner