Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:44:49 -0800
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On 01/16/2012 17:03, Atom Smasher wrote:

> i bought myself a LENOVO T510 when it first came out, around early
> 2010. it's got an i5 CPU and Arrandale GPU. it's two years old and on
> freeBSD i STILL can't run xorg properly with it. linux has run fine
> with it since i opened the box. last i checked, freeBSD will be
> support this GPU in R9... or maybe R10...?

The usual explanation for this is that FreeBSD is the server OS and
doesn't need to worry about desktop-only hardware. (Not that I agree
with such position.)
I noticed that FreeBSD overall  isn't too good for laptops (correct me
if I am wrong). Even if Arrandale GPU worked, there is no working
network manager in kde or gnome, able to find and setup WiFi networks
without user typing anything. Also FreeBSD isn't able to enter (and come
back from) the sleep mode. Also it can't stop the hard drives when the
system is idle (last time I tried I got system crash). These make it
very difficult to use FreeBSD on the laptops. Major usability issues.

Yuri