Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:19:11 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Peter Ryan <pryan@singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: where to find what a port will try to download

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:40:18AM +0800, Peter Ryan wrote:
> Hi Matthew,

Hi.
=20
> I am trying to find out which files a port
> will try to download.
>=20
> E.g. JDK14.  The Makefile has parameterised
> distfiles and I cant see where the parameters
> are resolved. I have looked in the other=20
> package files and cant see anything.

Finding what the distfiles are is easy:

    % cd /usr/ports/java/jdk14=20
    % make -V DISTFILES=20
    j2sdk-1_4_2-src-scsl.zip j2sdk-1_4_2-bin-scsl.zip bsd-jdk14-patches-6.t=
ar.gz

As someone else said in this thread, you could also got and look at
FreshPorts.org to get this information.

This use of 'make -V' is essentially what FreshPorts does, except it
does a scan over the whole ports tree in one swell foop and stores the
results in a database for later use in constructing web pages.

> I while back, when I knew less than nothing about
> cvsup, you mentioned that the JDK14 port now used=20
> a newer file from Sun.  (the '_05' instead of the
> '_04' I was looking for)

Well, you mentioned the older file in your message, and I happened to
know that the latest java/jdk14 patchlevel version was _06 on my
machine.  Which it has been for several months -- if we really were
talking about _05 then it must have been so long ago that I've
completely forgotten the conversation.

Besides, you're not the first person to have run into exactly this
problem on the FreeBSD mailing lists.
=20
> How did you know the port wanted the newer file ?

Well, a long, long time ago (more than a year) I rather incautiously
promised to write an article about using Java on FreeBSD.  After many
months of studiously ignoring the part-completed work and doing other
more interesting stuff, I finally thought to myself "Enough is enough.
Finish the damn thing off and put it up on the Web."

So I had all the numbers, etc. at my fingertips anyhow.

And, no, that article is not yet finished, and I have again been
distracted by other, more interesting, things.
=20
> And how did you find out the exact name ?

By looking for it in the places where it could be found.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way