Date:      Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:28:24 +0300
From:      "Donatas" <donatas@lrtc.net>
To:        "Julian Elischer" <julian@elischer.org>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: routing problem (with corrected scheme)

Hello Julian,

> Do the users have to have real IP addresses or can they have
> NAT'd addresses? In other words, do they have INCOMING sessions
> or just outgoing sessions?
actualy there are hundreds of users with registered(real) IP's. So =
nat'ing, looking the most logical solution, in this case can't be =
realized.
=20
> If the latter then you could put a NATD on each of the vlan
> interfaces on the user router, so that the return packets will
> automatically go back to the vlan from which they came.

> Why do you need DIFFERENT VLANS between the two routers for
> data that will eventually go to different places?
> Why can't that decision be made on the core router?
> Is it just so you can shape traffic between the two routers?
> why not do the shaping on the core router?
as far as shaping of unsecure zone cannot be realized on the core router =
(due tu enormous load of machine), we must put those options on =
user-router. We need to shape USA and EUROPE traffic separately and =
differently per user. Using ipfw that traffic can be recognized only =
using two different interfaces. We can't avoid usage of vlan's by adding =
aditinal physical interface on core router, but it won't solve =
inbound-routes problem.

> actually you should be able to do it with ipfw's 'fwd' rule
> without NAT.
> ipfw add 1000 fwd  ip4 ip from any to ${USER_NETWORK} in recv em0
> ipfw add 1001 fwd  ip3 ip from any to ${USER_NETWORK} in recv em1
yes, i've been thinking of "fwd" rules, but as I have allready mentioned =
- there are hundreds of real IP's behind the user router, all of them =
are in differen (mixed) subents. Core router's average cpu load (running =
on dual xeon 2.8) is 80%.We can't describe all inbound traffic with two =
ipfw rules because of subnet difference. If we put several hundred of =
fwd rules on core-router, it will simply fail. And the number of these =
rules has a tendence to increase in about 40/month.
So, the only solution in this case seems to be routing-back to those two =
USA and EUROPE vlan's.=20