Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:10:23 -0500
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Somewhat OT - A Makefile Question

Not strictly FBSD, but ...

Within a makefile, I need to assign the name of a program as in:

FOO = "bar".

The problem is that 'bar' may also be know as, say, "bar.sh".  Worse still
both "bar" and "bar.sh" can exist with one linked to the other.  Is there
a simple way to determine which form "bar" or "bar.sh" on on a given
system *at the time the make is run*?  If both exist, I will pick
one arbitrarily, I just don't want the detection mechanism to fail when
this is the case.  For example I don't think this works when both
are there:

FOO = $(shell `which bar bar.sh)

Thanks,
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com