Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:25:09 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, domi <domi@saargate.de>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail: Receive mails for every subdomain

jonathan michaels wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 05:20:05PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > > Is it possible to make sendmail route all mail to localpart@*.domain.com
> > > to localpart@domain.com?
> >
> > Should be... if your MX is (say) mx.domain.com try something like
> >
> > .domain.com smtp:[mx.domain.com]
> >
> > in your mailer table and
> >
> > *.domain.com. IN MX 0 mx.domain.com.
> >
> > in your DNS.  See src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README for details.
>
> i've been wondering about this sort of entry in the dns table
> fro some time. i've asked several people about the posibilities
> and have been told that this particular habit is frowned upon
> and should be avoided.

	As long as you understand what it will and won't do, and as long as you
want it to do what it will do, and aren't trying to get it to do
something it won't, you're fine with this. The key thing that most
people forget is that you still have to define MX records for the hosts
that you already have other types of records for.

	Of course, after any change of this magnitude keep a sharp eye on the
logs (mail AND DNS) for about a week to make sure that everything is
happening  the way you want it to. MX records are one of the most
difficult things to get right, in part because it tends to fail
silently.

	Also, I wouldn't use zero as your priority. The RFC defines the zero
priority as the "fallback" to try if none of the real MX records work.
That fallback is usually the A record of the host that you're trying to
send mail to. Thus, some MTA's get confused if they receive a real MX RR
with a priority zero. Since the priority numbers are all relative, and
other than zero don't mean anything on their own, it's better to choose
a number greater than zero as your priority.

Hope this helps,

Doug
--
"Let 'er work."