Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:33:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, maral@webnet.com.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation..

> > > 	Due to all the argueing about the lack of documentation, why dont
> > > we all stop bitching, and do ourselves a favour by writing docs, on
> > > what we have experience in, when using freebsd, lets get the handbook
> > > growing.
> >
> > For things like IBCS2, this would be makework.  For others, this would
>
> Ahem, it certainly would not be makework.  Of course, it only needs to be
> a paragraph or so, but there should be *some* clear statement that FreeBSD
> offers SCO compatibility, and the (known) extent/limitations of that
> compatibility.  Oh, and by the way you have to turn it on.  You can turn
> it on manually by typing "ibcs2", or to have it loaded automatically at
> boot, edit /etc/sysconfig appropriately.  I can't think of a better place
> to put this than in a handbook chapter on compatibilty with other systems.

Documenting processes which are on the block to be intentionally
obsoleted is a waste of time.

Like how to manually set up IBCS2, when the document will quickly
become useless when install/config does it all for you.

> Besides, some threads on these mailing lists are a testament to the fact
> that SCO compatibility is *not* as straight-forward as typing ibcs2 and
> going merrily along your way.  (hopefully it will one day be like
> that...)

I think the assumption that it was was a bad assumption on your part.

Read the terms of your SCO License.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---