Date:      Wed, 2 May 2007 14:42:20 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        L Goodwin <xrayv19@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: List of UPCs that can auto-shutdown FreeBSD

In the last episode (May 02), L Goodwin said:
> I need help finding a UPS that can tell a computer running FreeBSD
> 6.2 to shutdown. I checked the hardware compatibility -- UPS are not
> even listed.
>
> The "APC Back-UPS ES USB 750VA w/TEL & COAX" meets my needs, but they
> don't offer the software (PowerChute Personal Edition) for FreeBSD
> (closest is Mac OS X).

The Network UPS Tools package (in ports as sysutils/nut ) can manage
all sorts of UPS hardware, and you can set it to shutdown servers when
the UPS battery gets low.

http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/stable.html says the Back-UPS ES
is supported.  I use nut on a similar USB-monitored APC UPS at home.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com