Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:45:12 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Michael Westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port/package guidelines (Ant)

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 06:16am, Michael Westbay wrote:

>     JJAR is an acronym for Jakarta JAR Archive Repository, an attempt
>     at making a CPAN-like service/infrastructure for the Java development
>     community.
>
> This is like a mini ports dependency system in and of itself.  In fact, I
> think that some of the FreeBSD community with a great deal of knowledge on
> how the ports dependencies work would be a good fit in this project.
>
> It is a bit flakey right now, but looks like exactly what we will
> eventually want for jar dependencies.

This does look cool.  I was thinking, prior to your post, how we might index
the available JARs and classes on a given system, which this doesn't do --
but this makes the dependency-resolving aspect of a build a no-brainer.
Also, it's using Ant's fetch ("Get") mechanism instead of the ports way of
downloading ... offhand I don't know if it does MD5's or not...

The only significant problem, however, is CLASSPATH.  Most people don't have
their root CLASSPATH set correctly, nor should we ever expect they would.
And if what I'm reading is correct, if the CLASSPATH is not set right, it
might not see what JARs are on the system, and try to resolve a dependency
for something which already has been installed.

We could set CLASSPATH by way of the bsd.java.mk-if all ports were installing
things in the proper locations- by doing a 'find' for JARs in
${PREFIX}/java/lib.

Using my best Yoda impression:  Good idea, this is.

--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]