Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2010 21:50:11 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>, Marko Zec <zec@icir.org>, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Net <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   A question about netgraph and vlans in general.

There is a sort of confusion in the kernel and in netgraph I see as to
whether a vlan packet has a vlan header on it or has a M_VLANTAG tag
on it.
For example the ng_vlan netgraph node prepends a real vlan header, and if
it were to be handed an mbuf with a M_VLANTAG associated with it, it would
ignore it, leaving a packet with both. (maybe useful for QinQ except
the order is probably opposite what one would want or expect).

Is there possibility that it (the vlan node) should simply add a
M_VLANTAG and
let it be handled downstream?  and what happens if there is already a
vlan tag?
should teh vlan tag be converted into a header and a new vlan tag added
with the new value?

I ask this after prodding with PR 152141 which is to do with vlan
encapsulation
for ng_ether. During my investigation of the bug, looking to see what was
done elsewhere it seemed that it was a little confusing..

Julian