Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:01:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        Adam Obszynski <awo@polbox.pl>
Cc:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libretto again

Adam Obszynski writes:
 > >> Simple.. just don't partition the last 32meg of the disk, thats what it
 >
 > >> uses for hibernation.
 > >I believe it's not quite that simple.
 > >A friend with a libretto that was shipped with a 2gb disk partitioned
 > >to 1.6Gb found it wanted to write to the end of the 1.6gb space, so he
 > >kept losing chunks of /var when he suspended ...
 > >Find the right bit of disk, then leave it unpartitioned :)

I had this type of problem because I allowed 64Mb (the max. memory on
my Libretto 110CT) at the end of the disk.  I found I sometimes had
strange crashes and filesystems sometimes didn't fsck correctly, etc.
I guessed it was the hibernation area because these problems only
happened after I had hibernated the system.  I searched on the net for
information and finally found two sources which both said that the
area needed to be a little bigger than 64Mb.  They suggested 70Mb.
Apparently there's more to store than just memory.  A little processor
state, etc.

I repartitioned my disk with two partitions; one DOS, one FreeBSD.
The FreeBSD partition doesn't include the last 9 cylinders of the
disk, which gives me 144585 blocks (just over 70.5Mb).  I don't see
anymore problems.

/raj