Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:01:26 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        David Kanter <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Question on updating a port

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 08:34:04AM -0600, David Kanter wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 11:26:54AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 09:48:18PM -0600, David Kanter wrote:
> > > How do I interpret the cvsup log file to determine whether a newer version
> > > of an installed port is available?
> > >

> > pkg_version(1). Use the ``-v'' option.
> ---end quoted text---
>
> Wow, I didn't know that existed. But that brings up a new problem...
>
> Sometimes I've got two versions of the same program. How can I safely get
> rid of older versions if the older version is required by other programs?
> Here's an example:
>
> libslang-1.2.2,1.4.0        ?   multiple versions (index has 1.4.0)
>
> But if I try to remove version 1.2.2 with pkg_delete I get:
>
> pkg_delete: package libslang-1.2.2' is required by these other packages
> and may not be deinstalled:
> slrn-0.9.5.7
> jed-0.98.7

pkg_delete -f name_of_the_port

Bear in mind that many of these "multiple version" ports are libs,
tk|gtk are good examples, so you can always use symlinks to get around
that (if you install multiple versions then the last one added will
have overwritten the earlier ones anyway but the directory in
/var/db/pkg will still exist). If you have problems with dependencies
whilst building a port then creating an empty directory in /var/db/pkg
will usually work around that (Xfree is a good example here).

> I'll get this eventually...
> --
> David Kanter
> djkanter@nwu.edu