Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:21:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Chris <chrismar@shasta.eclipse.net>
Cc:        "Don O'Neil" <don@whtech.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why can't I ping my own IP Aliases?

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Chris wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Don O'Neil wrote:
>
> > I've configured a few IP aliases on my 3.3 machine, and they show up under
> > ifconfig -a... but when I try to ping them from the machine they're defined
> > on I can't... nor can I telnet or ftp to them. I can ping/telnet/ftp to them
> > from outside the machine, so I know the traffic is getting routed
> > correctly... what gives?
> >
> > I'm using RealTek 10/100 PCI ethernet cards, FBSD 3.3-Release.
> >

> You have to add it to the lo0 interface as well so it knows to loop back
> to itself.  This has been my experiece in the past.  For example, in my
> case i'd do a `ifconfig fxp0 alias xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx` and
> `ifconfig lo0 alias xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx` and it would then work.

hmmm, for some reason it seems more correct to me to add static routes
over the loopback for each of these IP addresses:

ifconfig_xl0_alias1="inet x.x.x.24 netmask  0xffffffff"
ifconfig_xl0_alias2="inet x.x.x.26 netmask 0xffffffff"
ifconfig_xl0_alias3="inet x.x.x.27 netmask 0xffffffff"
route_24="x.x.x.24 -iface lo0"
route_26="x.x.x.26 -iface lo0"
route_27="x.x.x.27 -iface lo0"

(in your /etc/rc.conf)