Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 17:07:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mystery of The missing I/O - Help Solicited

Hi Gary Jennejohn;  On 21-Jun-97 you wrote:
> Simon Shapiro writes:
> [snip]
> >Today we decided to try something else.  We quited down ALL networking
> >activity on the system, including disconnecting PPP.  We managed to
> build
> >make release flawlessly.  Several times.  Connect PPP and SCSI command
> >completions seem to disappear somewhere between sd.c and the driver or
> >higher.  Disconnect PPP and all is well.
> >

> which PPP ? Kernel or user-land ? Seems like this should be important.

Kernel PPP.  Source is RELENG_2_2 as of 971619.  Existed earlier.  We do see
an occsional buffer overflow warning on the sio port where PPP is running.
Baud rate is either 115,200 (ISDN 64Kb) or 230,400 (128Kb ISDN).

One more thing.  We get a 1-8 seconds delay in the system every now and
then.
It manifests itself as a complete freeze that comes suddenly and releases
suddenly.  It is NOT in the DPT driver.  Internal to the driver, we see it
as
a similar delay in serving software interrupts or in return from
scsi_done().

Simon