Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:25:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF interpreter /usr/lib/libc.so.1 not found (on 3.0-CURRENT 12/20/98)

John Polstra writes:
 > In article <13962.6777.503181.771874@penny.south.mpcs.com>,
 > Howard Goldstein  <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com> wrote:
 > > slice:~/src/develop$ ./v2show
 > > ELF interpreter /usr/lib/libc.so.1 not found
 > > Abort trap
 >
 > Add "-dynamic-linker /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1" to your "ld"
 > command.  The "ELF interpreter" is the dynamic linker that the
 > kernel is trying to load.  Its pathname defaults (in the linker) to
 > "/usr/lib/libc.so.1", which is the old SVR4 version.  This must be
 > overridden on the linker command line.  "cc" automatically does that.

This probably accounts for some of the reason why I couldn't get an ld
executable built anyway other than as a -Bstatic.  Some of those
init/end modules are also different (no surprise to you folks who do
this all the time)

 > You really should try to use "cc" for linking, because there's lots
 > of non-obvious stuff that needs to go onto the command line for
 > "ld".  Take some simple program "hello.c", and do this:
 >
 >     cc -v hello.c

Yow lots of extra stuff.  Where are these overrides set in cc/gcc?

 > I don't understand why your masm/nasm problem would affect linking.

They don't directly affect it.  The problem was my failure to use cc
as a frontend to the linker.