Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:08:45 +0100
From:      Anthony Edwards <anthony.edwards@uk.easynet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: package managment

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:59:16PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> Note that portupgrade gives you two specific options for upgrading: using a
> package to upgrade, or upgrading from the ports collection.  It depends on
> what options you give it.  Software installed from ports is normally newer,
> while installing from packages goes faster because you don't have to wait
> for the software to compile.

As a relatively new FreeBSD user (it took me a day or so to figure this
out myself), I would point out for completeness that portupgrade needs
to be used in conjunction with a regular CVSup of the ports tree,
as explained (briefly) in "4.5.1 Obtaining the Ports Collection"
of the FreeBSD Handbook, and (in detail) in "A.5 Using CVSup".

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

This process is actually very simple, and gives somewhat similar
functionality to that of apt-get update & apt-get upgrade, with which
Debian users will be familiar.

--
Anthony Edwards
anthony.edwards@uk.easynet.net