Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:56:20 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XXXminpys question

As Peter Dufault wrote:

> > The adapters _are_ the reason for a minphys, so there should only be
> > one at all.  We should probably add it to the cdevsw entries.  It can
> > default to minphys (64 KB).
>
> You still want an overall system minphys to prevent a rogue driver / rogue
> dd from crashing the system.  It is the maximum amount you're willing to
> guarantee to lock down for a raw transfer.

I remember that David Greenman once said that the main reason for the
existing minphys was the limitation of the SCSI adapters.

Maybe there should be another minphys, but more something like 1 MB or
larger then.  The existing 64 KB limitation is something seriously
small.  Think of SGI's (stupid) habit of writing 256 KB blocked tapes,
or of something like a WRITE BUFFER command to download firmware where
the device will only accept the entire buffer at once (supposedly
since it tries to compute a checksum on the fly).  I think my Tandberg
tape belongs to this group.  It's annoying to boot a DOS floppy just
for a SCSI firmware upgrade only.

--
cheers, J"org