Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:57:20 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Using LinuxThreads

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 11:04:38AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:
>
> > > And when are COMPAT_LINUX_THREADS and VM_STACK going away?
> >
> > I have no idea.  I was hoping that at least COMPAT_LINUX_THREADS
> > would go away before the branch.  I don't have commit authority,
> > so it isn't up to me.
> >

> hmm did you send me the patches?

No. You said you wanted Peter to do it.  I offered to send
patches upon request, but never got a request. :)

> I can certainly do it now..(given a patch set to apply)

Ok.  I'll send it.  Do you want VM_STACK out too?

> I just realised however, that if we make them go away we break
> SMP right?

No. I don't think the patches affect SMP one way or the other.
If someone tries to run kernel threads of any kind (linuxthreads
in emulation, linuxthread in FreeBSD native, any other kernel
threads implementation that uses rfork with RFMEM) rfork will
fail, with or without the patches (unless you apply Luoqi Chen's
pmap patches).

I see no reason the patches shouldn't work with SMP when rfork
gets fixed, but I haven't tried it.

> hmm I guess we only break it for programs that woudltry use it
> which should be none if you run SMP :-)

See above.

--
Richard Seamman, Jr.          email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450