Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 16:23:12 -0400
From:      "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@feephi.phofarm.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.0.5 Alpha Install

Well, that was painful enough...

I tested the tape install.  While reading the tape, the screen says:
"Extracting root floppy..."

I had a lot of trouble with the boot floppy either panicing or failing to
uncompress the kernel.  The panic looked like this:

fault virtual address        = 0x1a5
fault code                   = supervisor write, page not present
instruction register         = 0x8:0xf01a7510
code segment                 = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                             = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags             = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process              = 0()
interrupt mask               = net tty bio
panic: page fault

This would occur just after fdc1 was probed, and right before wdc0.
(Which I have).

I had problems with bin, sgnu, sgames and srelease not extracting correctly.

This was all with this morning's boot floppy.  (3 June 95)
It also didn't create the DOS partition mount directory.
After many tries at it, including disabling any device in the generic
kernel that I don't have, I finally got it to load.  Thus, I can send
email again.

Hope this helps,

Danny J. Zerkel
Photon Farmers