Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 19:03:22 +0200
From:      "Philippe Charnier" <charnier@lirmm.fr>
To:        Ivan Lima <ivan@nauplius.rsmas.miami.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SNAP 950412 & 3com509

Salut,

In the message SNAP 950412 & 3com509,
Ivan Lima <ivan@nauplius.rsmas.miami.edu> wrote :

>	Hi folks, I just upgraded to the SNAP 950412 to make the
>system recognize my Colorado tape drive and it does now. But the
>problem is that I can't ftp or connect to remote hosts. The e-mail and
>connection to hosts in my site works fine. My ethernet board is a
>3com509 and I read something in the newsgroup about problems with
>SNAP-950412 and 3com509 boards. Does anyone know the solution for this
>problem?
>
>	Since I'm not a subscriber to questions-FreeBSD, I'd
>appreciate if you would email your answers/suggestions directly to me.

I just changed /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/if_ep.c (line 213)

- DELAY(1000);
+ DELAY(3000);

And found a no conflicting port/irq for the card. Boot using -c to change
the settings until you find a correct one. Then make a new kernel with the
correct values.

I think that you need to power off then power on the computer to switch
DOS/FreeBSD and FReeBSD/DOS (not sure about that).

If you have a pci computer, unset plug&play capabilities in the bios and
in the card.

I also heard that some port/irq choices are slower than others???

Philippe Charnier                                      charnier@lirmm.fr

         LIRMM, 161 rue Ada, 34392 Montpellier cedex 5 -- France