Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:29:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de (Robert Schien)
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems getting Sybase DB running

I am trying to get the Linux version of the Sybase database
running. These were the steps I performed:

0. I compiled a new kernel with lots of possible shared memory (48 MB)
   (BTW, the Informix DB runs fine)
1. With the help of rpm2cpio I unpacked the rpm-package:
   rpm2cpio sybase.rpm | cpio -ivdum
   (direct use of rpm -i (Marcel Moolenar's port)
   failed with the error message
   'failed to create /var/tmp/xxxx'. Of course, /var/tmp
   exists and there are no permission or space problems. I checked this)
2. I created a group 'sybase' and a user 'sybase'
3. chown -R sybase.sybase /opt/sybase
4. In the install directory I ran 'sybinit'
5. The configuration and installation seems to run fine until
  the point where the server tries to boot. A minute or so
  nothing happens, then an error 514 comes up.
  Looking at the Sybase Website I learned that thos error means
  "can not perform the desired action"  :-(

Has anyone had the same problem? How can it be solved?

My system is 4.0-current (about 2 weeks old).
I am using the linux-libs from  Marcel Moolenaar's port.
So I think my system is faily current.

Thank you very much in advance.
Robert