Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:47:16 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-numerics@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of expl logl

On 08/14/2012 12:52 PM, Steve Kargl wrote:

> It is much easier to read Tang's papers, and implement his
> algorithms.  Then, you send the code to Bruce and watch
> the optimization machine churn over the code.  :-)
>
> PTP Tang, "Table-Driven Implementation of the Expml Function In IEEE
> Floating-Point Arithmetic," ACM Trans. Math. Soft., 18, 1992,
> 211-222.
>
> PTP Tang, "Table-Driven Implementation of the Exponential Function
> in IEEE Floating-Point Arithmetic," ACM Trans. Math. Soft., 15, 1989,
> 144-157.
>
> PTP Tang, "Table-Driven Implementation of the Logarithm Function in IEEE
> Floating-Point Arithmetic," ACM Trans. Math. Soft., 16, 1990, 378-400.

That must be the same Tang who co-wrote the paper with Hull and
Fairgrieve on the arcsin.  I had an email conversation with Fairgrieve a
few days ago, because I wanted to know if they had written a paper on
the arctan.  It turned out that Hull died soon after the paper on
arcsine was completed.

Fairgrieve sent me the paper on arctan, which they neither completed nor
published.  He doesn't want it spread widely because I think he wants to
publish it one day.  But it is very similar to the algorithm I developed
myself for catanh.

I do have a bad habit of trying to create the mathematics for myself,
and internally I consider it cheating to read the literature.  This
habit has bitten me several times in the past, and I have had papers
rejected because I didn't properly cite the existing literature, and had
reinvented the wheel.