Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:57:40 -0500
From:      Steve <steve@digitalbluesky.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   interested to know the "right" way to backup a box to minimize downtime in case of a crash

I have a home network that consists of a couple winXP workstations, one
shuttle cube server running freebsd 5.3 for hosting some webpages and email
(2.4 gig celeron, 512 meg ram, 40 gig hard drive) and an old gateway P75
running freebsd 5.3 that runs samba.  I use that gateway box to be the
network backup device.  All the computers are connected to a linksys router
(the shuttle cube is dmz'd).  Right now I do a nightly tar.gz of the
home,var and etc directory on the shuttle cube to the gateway box.  In
about a month I'll be bringing home an IBM 205VL server (850 celeron, 256
meg ram and two 40 gig hard drives) to replace the gateway box.

I would like to know, in general, how people would configure that IBM
server to do a little more than just store simple backups from the shuttle
cube server.  Really I would like a situation where if the shuttle cube
died, I could just dmz the IBM box to serve the webpages and email that the
shuttle cube does.  It's not a "mission critical" situation, but I just
want to be able to come home from work the night of a failure and without
alot of work, swap the boxes.

Steve Bopple
www.digitalbluesky.net