Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 02:16:56 -0800
From:      ANYBODY <somebody@kashmir.etowns.net>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adaptec scsi - seagate da -- current

hunh my problem seems to be pretty similar however
it was happening because of extremely heavy tag
depth ( > 200 ). after automatic adjustment it
used to be around 63 so I manually forced it to be
reduced to 60 at bootup by adding a command in /etc/rc.local
camcontrol tags da0 -N 60
looks like around <= 16 would be a good number for
your da0.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ MY PREV. THREAD COMPLETELY.
exactly why this happens even though my hardware is
not borderline.... is something that I havent yet
figured....
tag depth is the amount of concurrency.
It does not have to be over 200 for good performance.
Matter of fact even 8,16 etc give a very reasonable
performance.
also make sure the scsi bus is properly terminated
on ( and only on ) the 2 ends. you can use physical
terminators at the 2 ends of the bus or have the last
devices ( according to physical wiring ) set to use
the internal terminators(if they have them).
Its the same. Usually card is on 1 end and the
drive on the other if all drives are internal and
no external scsi device.
Most cards have the option of enabling the terminator
through the bios : make sure it is enabled (only if
in your condition it is the last device on 1 end.).
most cards and devices also support supplying power
to a terminator outside (if you have an external terminator).
(power to the bus) having a couple of devices supplying
power to the bus if you have physical terms is ok.

if no physical terminators make sure the internal terms
are supplied with power. jumpers on the hard drives.
look into the drive manuals. Seagate maintains extensive
manuals on their website. seagate.com look around for
disk encyclopaedia. I am not sure if quantum is a seagate
product.
Also people have reported that low level formatting some
times helps -- if you can do it either from scsi bios
or from freebsd...... I lost patience and dont
think needed  to either.
Some scsi bios settings also contain some option for
tag depths... I have seen atleast 1 if I remember correctly
which is set to low usually.
Hope this helps
Let me know
Best regards,