Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 05:06:00 -0700
From:      "John Purser" <jpurser@uswest.net>
To:        <dg@root.com>, "Guess Who..." <ptacek@mcn.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Portland, FreeBSD, and DSL

Hello and welcome to the Portland area,

I live in Vancouver, the one just across the Columbia river from Portland
OR.  I tried to get DSL from US West but I live in an area that runs through
a collector (I think) before it hits the phone company.  Because of this all
traffic is slowed down to 28.8 K so US West says they can't offer DSL in my
area.  Since they insist on crippling the phone system I don't see how
they're ever going to compete with the cable companies for internet
business.  If US West is your phone company you should check carefully
before signing a rental agreement if you want DSL.

As I recall the price per month (line fee only) was something like $56.00 a
month up here in WA.

FYI there is a Portland area FreeBSD User Group and US West uses FreeBSD in
their internet services division.

John Purser