Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 06:20:20 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Neil Blakey-Milner" <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, "Rick Hamell" <hamellr@aracnet.com>
Cc:        <msilver@sc.rr.com>, "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

I'm certain that there are many other relative newbies like myself who would
be prepared to contribute to the documentation project. However during the
several months I was subscribed to the docs list the ONLY discussion there
was so far over my head that I eventually left the list. I accept the point
that developers have other things to do, however it isn't doing FreeBSD much
good if the O/S is being avoided by a substantial number of IT consultants
because the present state of documentation is such that even relatively
experienced unix users find its extremely difficult to get unfamiliar stuff
configured. If the O/S is to stay largely in the developer community then I
guess this issue isn't a real problem, however I did understand that at
least some of the people who write the FreeBSD code would like to see the
thing used in the "real world". One way to guarantee that it won't happen
quickly is to keep the present "head in the sand" attitude in relation to