Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 08:58:35 -0400
From:      Paul Fox <pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   what's a maintainer to do?

hi --  i'm confused.  i suspect the rules changed somewhere along the
way while i wasn't looking, so please bear with me.

i'm the maintainer of the FreeBSD ports of vile (and xvile).  (i used
to be principle author of vile as well, but no more.)

the version of vile in ports-current is 6.3.

in ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming there is a set of patches to
bring it up to 6.0, clearly very old, so i guess incoming isn't where
port upgrades should go.

on april 20, i sent mail to this list ("Subject:  update to vile/xvile
enclosed") to bring it up to 7.0.  i got no response, and had to unsubscribe
shortly thereafter, so couldn't keep track, but it appears that that
isn't the correct way to submit upgrades either, since it never happened.

i'm willing to follow any rules, as long as i know what they are.  :-)
what's the path-of-least-effort-for-all-involved?

paul

p.s.  if someone else on this list has an interest in vile and would like
to take over the port maintainer role, please let me know...  not that i
don't want to, i just think the updates might be more timely...

    paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma)