Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:27:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-question@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail IO problems

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Dan Phoenix wrote:

> I am sitting with a 80-90% IO disk problem after converting this one box
> from linux to freebsd. I enabled soft-updates on that partition...that did
> not help to much...and ram is fine. I am guessing because ext2fs uses
> asyncronous metadatawrites and favors speed over reliablity that that is
> why linux was able to handle it.

	Hi dan. Just out of curiosity what leads you to think its I/O?
Is this sending or receiving? You say its on one partition? Is the mail
spool directory hashed? How many mail's are you doing a second? How many
mails WERE you doing a second on linux? A little more insight into how
things are configured would help a bit. :-) I bet brad will see
this too and he will surely know the right direction to point you.
I run mostly postfix here. Since it has lower overhead writing mail.

	If your queue is being filled up because qmail isnt processing
them fast enough that mostly sounds just like a configuration problem.
But again I dont know what your traffic is like. If its something small or
something crazy.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"