Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:02:14 -0700
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, Unknow User <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH2 (in FreeBSD-Questions)

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 01:38:26PM -0400, Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Unknow User wrote:
>
> > No, i never use ports (Due to security problem)!
> > i always get the source!
> >
> > Any tips?
>
> Manually apply the patch or use the source and figure it out for yourself.
>
> Stop doing things the hard way just for a false sense of security.

	Ports will install ssh client suid, where I am 99% sure you don't
need the client to be suid. I always do '--disable-suid-ssh' when rolling
out new ssh.

	Most of the software can be tweaked to be more secure during the
build time .. sudo can be tweaked to switch to non-root user by default, for
example. (So you can create user 'blah' to which people can _only_ sudo and
hence work in a sandbox of a single user).

-- yan