Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:05:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who is interested in /dev/midi and /dev/synth ?

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> >From The Desk Of Stephen Roome :
> > On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > > I am wondering if there is anyone who really needs /dev/midi and
> > > /dev/synth, and used them on the old sound driver.  If you do, (Uncle
> > > Sam's finger pointed at you) speak up, telling which apps you use which
> > > do not work with the new audio driver, where I can find them, and how
> > > are you going to help in implementing these devices.
> >
> > Last time I used rosegarden it was okay, I installed guspnp15 and it has a
> > tendency now to blow up and freeze the machine, although this might have
> > been when I did something stupid...
>
> Care to elaborate under what circumstances or which programs causes guspnp15
> to crashe your system?

Yikes! I did another inexplicably short unexplainable mail!

Anyway, I don't have much info on this, all I know is that with my AWE64
is very good at helping to hang my machine.

I've tried to use rosegarden a few times so far, first I tried the Randall
Hopper's awedrv-0.4.0a (I'm not too sure about version numbers here), and
that caused me no end of problems as far as pcm sound was concerned
however I had some good midi sounds through the card and I was able to
load soundbanks - happy for a while!

I got Sujal's PNP patches (FreeBSD-ISA-PnP-June08.tgz I believe ?) and
GUSPNP15, I'm running 3.0-970618-SNAP, which seems stable enough in most
cases.. but here's a list of the problems I've got now:

[Quake :  Nothing caused by sound, xf86quak occasionaly dies horribly
(freezes screen but doesn't actually shut down) when I try and quit, but I
assume this is just poor Xdga programming - any ideas on this ?]

cat mysound >> /dev/dsp

occasionaly seems to come out slightly slow (I've tried options BROKENSB,
but it doesn't help - rplay doesn't have the problem, so I gave up
worrying about this.)

I think this was happening with this as well
cat /dev/dsp > mush
cat mush >> /dev/dsp

Also reading from /dev/dsp too quickly can cause a panic.  e.g. any user
can open /dev/dsp say O_RDWR | O_NONBLOCK, read and write tons of stuff
direct to the device and panic the machine.

[ found this out while hacking some stuff together really badly =) ]

I'll check on some of the other problems I had when I was at home, but I
found out most of them while on holliday, by the time I was going to say
something we're onto guspnp20 and I've forgotten half the problems.

I do have a fair amount of code with warnings which say
 "don't run me, it'll panic."

That's mostly my fault I expect, although I was developing as joe luser,
no special priviledges.

	Steve.

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342