Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 13:21:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet packet sniffer.

> > > No, it only would reveal physical connections,  Mike Smith was right
> > > about what he said, there isn't any way to detect a receiver.  This would
> > > only detect extra cable taps that a network administrator didn't know
> > > about.  And it wouldn't reveal what those taps were doing, either, just
> > > that they existed.
> > They wouldn't reveal a nonintrusive high impedance tap..
>
> It might.  The break in insulation you would create when you are
> attaching your tap might be a visible enough discontinuity.  BNC
> connectors are easily visible even though they are loaded with a
> matching load.

I took this to be a low draw capacitive tap rather than a tap requiring
an insulation break.

The high impedence would make for a large relaxation time on the combined
LC-tank circuit.

Such an arrangement would be very hard to detect unless you ran cable
with a much higher than necessary frequency response for ethernet,
and ran your detection equipment at a much higher frequency than
your standard traffic.  Then you'd see a nice capicitive charging
effect in the case of a tap (or adjacent cables, in some cases),
but unless the frequency differential was very high proportional to
the cable length, you'd only get a very general idea of where the
tap (or adjacent cable) was located.

If someone is going to go to this much trouble, then they are probably
intercepting the EM from your monitors to read your screens anyway and
you probably have your own spooks dealing with the problem of having
a spy in your shielded building.

Reminds me of the story of the guard in the tempest vault who brought
down the wrath of the brass from watching football games on a protable
TV while on duty.  They didn't care what he did to amuse himself while
he was there, but they *did* care that RF was able to get into the
vault -- it meant it could get out.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.