Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 95 8:43:54 CDT
From:      Mike Heitmann <mike@hpanalog.mdc.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org (questions-owner)
Subject:   Installing with 4Mb Memory

Hello,

We're trying to install 2.0.5-RELEASE on a system configured with a
386DX/33 CPU, 4Mb memory, 340Mb IDE disk drive and a VGA video card.
The install process hangs occasionally and shows the following on the
debug screen:

     process nn killed by vm pager -- out of swap

(the message may not be exact - I'm sending this from memory at work).

This happens most often when we try to select options such as Partition, Label,
Distributions, Media, etc.  Typing <Ctrl> C forces install to continue,
but I suspect whatever it spawned at these times either did not run at all
or did not finnish the task intended, because we get error messages that
indicate distributions or media are not specified or that it couldn't find
the file system the distribution resides in (it's in a DOS partion on the
target machine in C:\FREEBSD\BIN, etc.).  Sometimes it will start unpacking
the the bin distribution, then crash before completing it with the same
(vm pager) error message. This usually causes a kernel panic and reboot.

BTW, I'm using the boot.flp image from the UPDATE directory at
freebsd.cdrom.com.

I'm pretty this is caused by the limited memory available to the install
process.  Before We go out and buy more memory modules, is there some way
to manually install 2.0.5?

Is anyone running 2.0.5 on a machine with only 4M of memory?

BTW, We've successfully installed 2.0.5 on several other machines with
8Mb or more of memory - all worked without any trouble at all. Good job
on the install process, folks!

Thanks,

Mike Heitmann
Internet: mike@hpanalog.mdc.com